Monday, June 22, 2009

Domestic Violence: This isn't the 1950's anymore...

Well if you haven't heard Chris Brown accepted a Plea Bargain of 5 years, 180 days of community service, staying 50ft from Rihanna and has to enroll in a domestic violence program. I'm surprised they didn't make an example out of Chris because the Vick sentencing had me paranoid. However, he is still a CONVICTED FELON. No matter how light the sentencing he received felony charges for this and it will never go away. Now the pictures of how bad he beat Rihanna made it seem like he was trying to kill the girl, so of course a harsh sentencing was what people were expecting. I remember Chris initially pleading not guilty...which confused all of us because its kind of hard to lie about things the whole world knows about...or what we THINK we know.


Tangent: Plea Bargains are ruining our black youth. It is a trap and it is hard to avoid because the law makes it scary to stand up for what we didn't do. Lawyers make plea bargains appealing by alluding that it is some type of "freedom." Bottom Line: don't say you did something if you didn't.
There was a heated debate on the radio about men hitting women when the WOMAN is the one being abusive in the relationship. If you was raised by a black mom or have black sisters, you probably already know that when black women get angry they sometimes have a tendency to get a little violent. [This is also a stereotype of black women which automatically overlooks black women who know how to control their anger. ] The radio host talked about his disappointment with youth who have talked to him about the issue of domestic abuse. Some believe that "it's not a big deal, because their friends fight with their boyfriends and girlfriends all the time, it's just APART of their relationship". This is clearly not ok.

So what's the deal? The deal is that woman are not afraid anymore. They are not raised to be afraid they are raised to take charge when necessary. So when they are angry they could care less about respecting a man's ego because more and more females are being raised to be able to survive without men. This is different from a couple of decades ago when women were encouraged to settle down quickly so a man can take care of them for the rest of their life. We now have the "we don't need you attitude" and are more than happy to show men we mean business verbally and physically. Now does that mean men should be allowed to hit women back now? NO. you know why?... because who goes to jail in the end? THE MAN.Just because the woman threw the first punch doesn't mean you won't be sitting behind bars. Now there are a small percentage of domestic violent case where the woman is the abuser, but once again ego gets in the way of these cases being analyzed & publicised. Everyone has the right to defend themselves, which is why fighting back all the time will hurt your chances of proving that your mate is a danger to you.

I bet you're wondering....."Whats wrong with us!!??" As a female myself I don't even have a concrete answer myself. What I do know is that the black communiy has a tendancy to bottle up all their problems within themselves, which is often why women and men get to the point where they just want to blow up. Ever heard the line: "I can show you better than I can tell you?" [my mom tells me that all the time] But now its getting ridiculous, instead of getting family counseling or talking out problems people are choosing to kill their family or significant other rather than fix things.

But the bottom line is a person will only treat you the way you let them treat you. If that line isn't drawn and not made clear then you will fall for anything. MANY innocent men have went to jail or either been killed for accusations of harming women. Woman have the power to do that, so guys now a days have to be prepared. If you are still digging in your little black book than be prepared to defend yourself because nowadays women are going from blowing out tires to blowing up your house. And ladies it only takes one beating for a man to realize he has control over you. Set him straight or things will get ugly as we already know thanks to Chris & Riri . This isn't the 1950's anymore...

I started this post 2 weeks ago and just decided to finish it so I'm sure the really god things i had to say are floating somewhere in my brain. Coming soon is my thoughts about this South Carolina governor who said he found his soulmate but wants to make it work with his wife by falling BACK in love with her! Talk about heartache and Humiliation, I would hate to be in his wife's shoes





Labels:

4 Comments:

At July 3, 2009 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Nersh™ said...

Well said! I don't have much to add to this except that you are definently correct in saying people only treat you the way you let them. If you think you're inferior, you're not going to stand up for yourself. And the governor from SC needs to shut his mouth and keep his pants on, good grief! If I was his wife I would have left a long time ago...but I do know that it can be emotionally trying to leave someone that you care about, esp when they first start mistreating you.

However, it only gets worse...

 
At July 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Jadey said...

Too bad Steve Mcnair had to die to prove this blog post right...SMH

 
At July 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Artistatcantdra said...

Two comments sorry I'm mad late:

A. about the plea bargain I definitely agree- I remember in kindergarten someone once pulled the emergency lock on a window making the bus's siren go off. No one would confess to who did it, so I did, because I was out of place...i.e. The bus driver said we weren't going anywhere until I confessed, and I wanted to go home. Anyway when getting off the bus with tears in my eyes the bus driver stopped me and I said "I didn't do it". She asks "so why did you admit to it?" And no answer I had then or now seems to justify it. MORAL OF THE STORY: If you take the blame for something you didn't do...especially something like a felony you'll spend all of that year plus in a cell wondering why did you give up your own freedom as well as let someone guilty go free.

B. "But the bottom line is a person will only treat you the way you let them treat you."

This is best answered in Steve Harvey's book "Think Like A Man, Act Like A Lady" (yes I read it). Anyway a big part of the book is called "Standards, Women Get You Some" and in this section Steve discusses why men treat women how they do. It's simple because those women allow it. For example, if you let your man come in at 3am every morning drunk and high...then he will see no need to change and continue to do it. However, if you were to make it clear after the first (second at the latest) time that you had a problem with it, well then he'll either fix the problem or leave- in which if that's all it took to leave, then you were better off not wasting any more time.

-Late but Swift

 
At July 23, 2009 at 7:02 AM , Blogger Jadey said...

I'm adding on to your lateness: I have to read his book because his morning show be off the chain, I love it lol. But yea I was reading an article in Essence magazine about black sisterhood and it said that we can't get along because we put men on a high pedalstal. When it comes to getting or keeping a man we lose our minds and sell ourselves (and the people that actually care about us) out. Its sad...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home